Monday, October 17, 2016

"It's a String Thing" #166 Tiles

This week, we created our own ZIA (Zentangle®Inspired Art) Great Pumpkins.  I can imagine that they would make Linus and Charlie Brown very proud.

Let's take a look ~

The first one arrived from Lori Byerly (Washington State) and here on her blog ~
I am so inspired by your challenge this week. I need to tangle on more objects. (I have warned by husband.)Thanks for the fun ZIA challenge.
 Tangled Tidbits -
"No surface is safe" is our motto!
*beautiful bold Knightsbridge on a curved grid
*N'Zepple inspired leaf - notice how the stem and leaf connect



From Trudi (Woodview, Ontario, Canada) ~
What a fun ZIA. I don't think I've done any ZIA before. Thank you for the suggestion, I really enjoyed adding the autumn colours.

Tangled Tidbits - 
*colorful halo of Iza
*alternating string sections of Knightsbridge and N'Zeppel


From Joanne Faherty (Bedfordshire, United Kingdom) ~
Great string thing last week, I loved seeing the beautiful work and thanks for introducing me to PiB I have used it a few times despite not getting to complete the its a string thing in time last week.
On to this week my pumpkin ended up in the corner of my tile not intentionally. Had the idea of doing Knightsbridge on the outline didn't quite work looks more like barberpole now. kind of looks like a fantasy pumpkin lol. Then N'zepple spiderwebs turned up and the tile turn 'halloweeny' added an antidot floor and stalk. Then decided as you couldn't really see the Knightsbridge in the pumpkin id add it in a few bare patches between the antidot floor.
Have a great week, looking forward as ever to seeing everyone's results

Tangled Tidbits - 
*detail dots and inner shading in Antidots
*N'zeppel lines end in curls


From Vicki Mitchell, CZT 25 (Moscow, Idaho ) ~
Thank you for a most amazing and addictive challenge this week. My pen absolutely would not stop drawing...
The first pumpkin had its string try to get into the act as a tangle of its own, with partial success. Each section of the string filled itself with tangleations, albeit all somewhat on the small side. The second tile again is filled with tangleations, but of a more visible size. The third tile is simple, textbook tangles.
Finally, I hadn't been finding room for Iza in the other tiles, so I was going to include a quartet of crossed "leaves" as an "extra credit " tile. Somehow that morphed into the concluding triple-header of a very leafy pumpkin peaking through a trellis covered with late-blooming flowers.

 Tangled Tidbits -
*orbs added to Knightsbridge - how fun!
*orbs featured in all three tangles in the pumpkin
*sparkled Knightsbridge diamonds
*a tile within a tile within a tile - how wonderful!
*striped and sparkled variation of Iza




From Pat (Florida) ~
I enjoyed this challenge...put me in the cool weather spirit although it is not very cool outside!
Patterns: N'Zeppel, Iza, Antidots, Knightsbridge, Printemps, candy corn, spiderize, dem bones and ripped screen.Thanks for the challenge!

Tangled Tidbits - 
*festive colors and themed tangles
*white highlights make the patterns pop


From Michele Wynne (California) ~
Thanks for another challenging Challenge. I attempted to employ some diversion tactics to make this less seasonal;-)
Tangled Tidbits - 
*highlights add roundness to the tangles, especially Iza
*Knightsbridge border corners



From Alyona Pakhomova (Toronto, Canada) ~
This time I am sending two tiles. And I take pictures of my tile before and after shading. Big difference.
Tangled Tidbits - 
*shading and curved grids yield wonderful roundness
*sparkled stripes of the stem tie into Knightsbridge
*fantastic before and after shading example - thank you Aloyna.

*large and smaller Antidots corners
*dark outer sections distinguish the pumpkin shape



From Audrie Weisenfelder (Tucson, Arizona) and here on her blog ~
I really enjoyed this week's String Thing. I actually finished earlier this week, but didn't get around to sending it to you.
I tried something different with this one; I used graphite to fill in everywhere that I would normally use black ink. I liked the effect very much,
and will probably try it again.
Thanks again for all the work you do each week. I always look forward to your challenges, and usually do them, even if I don't always post them.
Tangled Tidbits - 
*wonderful idea with the graphite coloring - wonderful effect!
*zigzag details in Iza



From Susan (United Kingdom) ~
A quite simple monotangle from me this week. I got this far and really liked how it looked, so made myself stop. I like the paved/tiled effect of the background, and the open wiry look of the central tangles which aren’t shaded in.

Tangled Tidbits -
*filled and unfilled lines of N'zeppel - a treat to see them side-by-side
*bold string lines look dimensional



From Jennifer (Switzerland) ~
Thank you for this exciting new challenge. Upon completing my tile, I found myself thinking of magical things in tales of long ago!
Tangled Tidbits -
*very magical effects to the tangles - sparkles, shadows, shading
*Knightsbridge vines and clustered Antidots


From Patricia (Switzerland) ~
I loved the tangles. The following were used by me:Knightsbridge, N'zeppel, Iza and antidots .
Tangled Tidbits -
*Antidots peeks through Knightsbridge
*Iza curves around the string and outward


From Gabriela Garcia (Alberta, Canada) ~
Hello everyone!
What a fun challenge! I love N'zeppel so much that decided to fill in the pumpkin with two versions of it, and then went ahead and use it as spiderwebs on the sides with a few Antidot's spiders ;-) Now for Knightbridge I got inspired by Adele's blog with the tangled white pumpkins all beautiful set for the pictures on dinning tables, so I thought let's make of Knightsbridge a tablecloth and set this pumpkin also in a decorated table.Again, Thank you Adele for a great challenge and also for your tangled pumpkins blog that started all the inspiration.
Tangled Tidbits -
*N'zeppel webs, Knightsbridge tablecloth - how fun!
*alternating variations of N'zeppel in the string sections
*sweet touch of green Iza


From Ingrid Coventon (The Netherlands) ~
Here is my tile # 166 for this week but oooh I messed it up completely. Not happy with this one at all. Don't know how it happened but the computer thought it was necessary to color this tile and added a touch of red. How funny a computer has a life of its own. I think the color is the best part of this tile so I decided to leave it like that and that is why I, nevertheless, send it to you.

Tangled Tidbits -
*the red and the tile are BOTH wonderful
*multi-layered background of N'zeppel and Iza complete with a spider
*bold complimentary squares and orbs


From Sharyn Penna (Massachusetts) ~
I loved your pumpkin delivery stories!
I discovered cobwebs and ghoulish eyes in this week's prompt.
Looking forward to the tile showing!Cheers to Fall ... my favorite season!
Tangled Tidbits -
*clever circular center grid of Knightsbridge
*Antidots curves up and along the outer string sections



From Jenny Hopkins (Australia) ~
How wonderful to spread joy through Zentangle (and pumpkins). I enjoyed your pumpkin posting story.
I also enjoyed the challenge this week - good tangles, although I am not sure that I have done them justice. Thank you for spreading the joy!
Tangled Tidbits -
*an Antidot vine!
*intertwined Iza and N'Zeppel



From Susan Theron (Velddrif, South Africa) ~
Tangled Tidbits -
*Antidot and Iza combination
*shaded N'zeppel lines and curves of Knightsbridge


From Jane Glotzer (Boulder, Colorado) ~
...I used a previously watercolored tile, waiting for the right prompt...and your pumpkin string was just the perfect thing--:) Offset the string a little, and went to town with Nzeppel, Knightsbridge, Antidots (3 all time favorites!!) and added an Iza leaf (and part of one) to the top. I love how the watercolors seem to shade and highlight all by itself. Added just a touch of pencil shading...
 Tangled Tidbits -
*glorious colors and how fun that they highlighted the tangles
*Knightsbridge stem grow up from the checkered string sections




From Lin H (Florida) ~
Thanks for the Pumpkin challenge, Adele. Your Iza tangle is one I have yet to be comfortable drawing (practice, practice, practice!) but Bud filled in this time just fine.

Tangled Tidbits -
*curved, highlighted Knightsbridge
*Antidots filled N'zeppel - love it!
*shadowed Bud leaves and vine - great substitute :)



From Adri van Wyk (Upington, South Africa) ~

Tangled Tidbits -
*weighted lines and wonderful shading
*beautiful curves repeat in the grids and tangles - yields a uniform look while each pattern maintains its own uniqueness


From Felicity Strohfeldt (South Africa) and here on her blog ~
Hope you are all well and recovered after the recent stormy events.
Here is my tangled pumpkin tile. I enjoy doing all these tangles and this week was no different. Thanks to you, Maria Thomas and Anita Rob-Lavery
Looking forward to all the masterpieces from all the other tangle friends.
Tangled Tidbits -
*sweet curls added to the base of each Iza
*billowing Antidots
*alternating tangles for the string secitons


From Amy Barnickel (Orlando, Florida) ~
Tangled Tidbits -
*a wreath of Iza surrounds the string - each leaf shaded at its base
*a different tangle for each string section - weighted lines distinguish the 'stem'


And now...

the tiles for honors this week...

were sent in by...

Jody Genovese, CZT (New York) and Marla Mendnehall (California).


From Jody ~
I just have to tell you how much I enjoy and look forward to this challenge each week. I wasn’t sure I was going to get it finished, but once again I am sneaking it in near the finish line. Thank you and enjoy your week.

Tangled Tidbits -
*gem eyes added to the 'carved' face
*N'zeppel cobwebs
*lined and Tipple filled Knightsbridge variation
*withered Fescu - nice touch!



From Marla ~
As hard as it is to believe, Autumn DOES come to Southern California. Not the vibrant announcement of Fall reverberating throughout the mid-West and New England, but occasionally one does run across the sunset colors of gold, orange and red in an oak, elm or maple shyly scattered among the palm and eucalyptus, and there is a grayish cast to the sky, a paling of the sun, and sometimes icy halos around the full moon. So out come the sweaters and sherpa-lined boots and the carving tools for Jack-O-Lantern glee. Or in our case, a Sharpie and a bit of tangle delight. My "Ode to Autumn" accompanies Tile 2. As always, good fun. Thanks Adele.

 Tangled Tidbits -
*fabulous roundness created with curved grids, shading, shadowing
*N'zeppel and Knightsbridge blend
*marvelous movement in Iza and the curls of the vine
*three sizes of pumpkins, three monotangles, layered in the foreground, middle and background
*flowing Iza and curvy vines
*signature Marla inspired descriptions and verse - just wonderful.


Congratulations, Jody and Marla!

I have a little some thing coming in the mail for you.

A huge thank you to all of the contributors to this week's challenge.
Please know that I appreciate and treasure your kindnesses and encouragements. 

I spied two tiles on Tickled To Tangle frames, did you?

Many thanks to...

 Maria Thomas, Zentangle® co-founder for the lovely
N'Zeppel and
Knightsbridge 

...to Anita Roby-Lavery, CZT for Antidots 

the three tangles we used this week along with my string and Iza.

Check back Tuesday afternoon for "It's a String Thing" #167!














No comments:

Post a Comment