Monday, December 19, 2016

"It's a String Thing" #175 Tiles

It is a warm, happy Monday here in Florida. 

Just this afternoon, my husband Lou and I returned from a quick weekend trip to Indiana to see our daughter Sarah and her beautiful family.  It was -13℉ when we left there and 90℉ (a difference of 103 degrees) just over two hours later when we landed here in Florida.
I do not miss the bitter cold, but how I do miss our precious grandchildren!

I thought of today's tiles as the plane winged its way through the sky, grateful for our safe journeys and the heavenly angels who protect us.

All things winged, of course, are references to the newest pattern from Zentangle® founders, Rick Roberts and Maria Thomas - Drawings.   IAST featured it this week and below you will find stunning tiles and creative variations.  Let's take a look ~


The first arrived from Tina Kirchhübel (Germany) ~
I was very happy about your challenge because so I had a reason to try Rick and Maria's new tangle Drawings. I like it very much. It's so elegant.
I know this should be a monotangle but when I read the new post from tanglepatterns.com with the new tangle Meriberries I thought that this pattern fits very well in my tile.
I wish you and your family a wonderful Christmas time and happy holidays. Greetings from Germany
Tangled Tidbits -
*accent lines for Drawings' curves
I had so much fun with drawing Drawings that I had to make another tile for IAST. And this time it's a real monotangle.
Tangled Tidbits -
*aura, dark background, and starry white perfs


From Susan (United Kingdom) ~
Lovely new tangle Drawings. It went a bit “Fengle” on my tile, but I’ll go and practise it some more. I added some silver pen to the wings but the photo has washed it out a bit. My phone needs good natural light to take photos and we don’t have much of that at the moment!

Tangled Tidbits -
*a lovely star appeared in the middle of the glistening tangle




From Hilary Merola ("In freeeeezing Chicago", Illinois)
Last week I missed the deadline, so this week I got right to work on the challenge. I saw Drawings a couple of days ago, tried it, and said to myself, I sure hope Adele doesn't choose this one!
I was inspired to try it again after reading at the bottom of the newsletter that your tangles don't have to look like ours, they just need to look like yours. I was also inspired to try the other tangle in the newsletter, Icanthis. I did a simplified version as a border.
Tangled Tidbits -
Thank you, Hilary - inspirational to follow your thought process...
*aura and heavenly blue accent Drawings


From Audrie Weisenfelder (Tucson, Arizona) and here on her Purple Butterfly blog ~
Drawings is such a terrific tangle. It's so flowing and organic; with so many possibilities. It was easy to come up with this tile. You can tell, since I'm so much earlier than usual. And didn't have multiple tiles that I couldn't choose between.

Tangled Tidbits -
*inner aura and weighted lines for graceful Drawings


From sra (India) ~
A very happy Christmas to you and your family! I didn't want to miss this week's challenge even though I'm traveling so I did a quick tile. Enjoyed the tour of your home in a previous post.
Thanks for hosting and have a nice week ahead. Cheers
Tangled Tidbits -
Thank you, sra - safe travels!
*lovely central Drawings, free floating ones border the tile


From Susie (St. Louis, Missouri) ~
Love this new tangle.
Tangled Tidbits -
*three festive variations of Drawings feature aura, perfs, and sparkle


From Simone Menzel, CZT (Germany) ~
The day before yesterday I drew the 10th tile for the 12daysof3Zs challenge of Zentangle.
I drew the new tangle "drawings" for the very first time.
When I saw your IAST challenge I decided to send you this 3Z tile as my contribution to your challenge.
I would like to use this Email to wish you a beautiful Christmas season and all the best for the New Year.Thank you so much for all the beautiful blogposts and the inspiring challenges!


 Tangled Tidbits -
Thank you and a very blessed Christmas to you, too.
*graceful curves of Drawings, shaded along each line




From Renee (Tennessee) ~

Tangled Tidbits -
*initial lines of Drawings flow into multiple detail curves as the tangle grows outward


From Aloyna Pakhomova (Toronto, Ontario, Canada) ~
I like this challenge a lot. When taking a look at Drawings I noticed another new tangle Icanthis and liked it. So I used both in my tile.
Tangled Tidbits -
*weighted lines of Drawings anchor it as the center focus as it branches out to include Icanthis and dark perfs


From Vicki Mitchell, CZT 25 (Moscow, Idaho) ~
Here is my tile for this week's challenge. I think I need a lot more practice on drawings before I feel truly confident with it, but it sure is a beautiful tangle.
I am also attaching last week's tile . In the excitement of finally getting a new puppy, I didn't get it photographed.
 Tangled Tidbits -
*flowing grouping of Drawings, color distinguishes each

*vibrant colors and sparkle make O a stand out


From Shirley Wohlsen (Queensland, Australia) ~
Hi Adele, please find my attached drawing for this week’s challenge “It’s A String Thing #175.
A wonderful pattern.
Tangled Tidbits -
*elegant, overlapping Drawing elements feature shading, partial inner aura and dots



From Lisette (Switzerland) ~
Thank you for this beautiful challenge. I’ve been experimenting with angel wings before but was never quite happy. This is a great pattern and fits perfectly to the season. Here is my contribution. Drawings was asking for a black tile this time…As I’m not sure if I can participate next week - Merry X-mas and a PEACEFUL New Year

Tangled Tidbits - 
Thank you Lisette, may we all have a peaceful New Year.
*heavenly, star-like effect created with white charcoal shading



From Joan Delony, CZT (Florida) ~
I really like drawing DRAWINGS. I am submitting 2 entries this week because I had so.much fun with this new tangle.
 Tangled Tidbits -
*Drawings spins into Pokeroot and Verdigogh (great frame!)
*Drawings seems to move across the Florz background - shading adds depth





From Lin H (Florida) ~
Hi Adele! Thanks for your monotangle challenge with Drawings this week. Loved your tangled snowman Christmas ornament, too. Happy holidays to you and your family!

Tangled Tidbits -
Thank you, Lin and thank you for another nice frame :)
*weighted curves and white aura, along with shading, add dimension


From Jutta Gladnigg (NRW Germany) ~
Thank you so much, Adele, for inviting us to your home. It was so great seeing you and your friends on your site ... you have such a marvellous place!!!Challenge 175 is again great - this time there is no string...! So I just began and after finishing and seeing the angel's wings a quote from Genesis 1:3 came to my mind - "And God said, Let there be light: and there was light." So this is sort of a (metaphorical) Christmas tile...
Tangled Tidbits -
Thank you, Jutta - that is a beautiful verse.
*doubled, curved lines of Drawings accented with detail lines
*deep, dark background
*Raindotty filler



From Gesine (Germany) ~
the Drawings monotangle was a great experience. I didn’t quite know how to begin, but once I started, the tangle just flowed. It’s definitely a tangle to revisit! I only used a single black ink pen and decided to continue with shading in ink after I accidentally started with it. I like the original better than the photo, but I’m really pleased with the resulting tile.
I wish you and your family Merry Christmas and a good and healthy year 2017
Tangled Tidbits -
*darkened at the overlaps, sweet details for each Drawings, tangle seems to fly!



From Amy Barnickel (Florida) ~
Hi Adele. Crazy busy this week tangling all the EVERYTHINGS! Christmas presents, IAST, continuing work on my office wall...it's been a tangle-riffic week.
Tangled Tidbits -
"Tangle-riffic" - I'll be using that, thank you, Amy!
*little black perfs in each curve really pop with soft shading to accent them



From Jody Genovese, CZT (New York) ~
I’m early for a change ... I’ve had a lot of practice with Drawings doing the 12daysof3Zs challenge with the Zentangle folks. Love it…
Please find my tile attached. Hope you are getting excited for Christmas. Warmest wishes to you!


Tangled Tidbits -
..and to you too, Jody!
*full and partial views of elegant Drawings - Printemps and perfs fill the background



From Donna (Wisconsin) ~
Tangled Tidbits -
*sensational use of Drawings creates a lovely partridge

and another from Donna ~
*Drawings and Icanthis morph - how fun!


From Ragged Ray (United Kingdom) ~
Along with the release of the new official tangles was this quote 'we remind you that your tangles are not supposed to look like ours . . . but rather, to look like yours!'. This has been in my head and heart all week, and it might be one of the wisest things I've read this year. Applicable to all things, not just our tangles.
I think I'm probably still in the mimic stage with Drawings, I need to play with it longer for it to become mine. This one is heavily influenced by the one you shared on your Words of Wisdom tile a few weeks back. It's wonderful to draw - it surprises me with where it goes. My tile insisted on being used on an angle this time! It looks very festive, but I'm sure will suit other seasons too. I think we'll be using this for years to come!
Tangled Tidbits -
You echo Hilary's comments and add yes, it does indeed apply to all things we create...
*layered rows of Drawings with weighted lines, soft shading, three outer aura, and dotted accents against a heavenly blue



From Sabine (Germany) and here on her blog ~
this is my entrie for this week - the first since a long time ago. Drawings is a lovely pattern, really just right for christmas time. I added some golden Tipple.
With many greetings from Germany

Tangled Tidbits -
Welcome back :)
*Drawings peeks out from under the border and floats amid golden Tipple


From Gabriela Garcia (Alberta, Canada) ~
Hi Adele, I really enjoyed playing with "Drawings"! And with all the buzz from Christmas errands and shopping plus all the regular work I found myself in desperate need for some relaxing moments, and what better thing to do to relax than to draw some zentangles :-)
I found your post with the snowman ornament so funny and true....and comforting.. ;-) Thanks Adele! And thank you for sharing your BEAUTIFUL home and studio with all of us in your post.Wishing everyone a LOVELY CHRISTMAS with only tiny melt downs ;-)
 Tangled Tidbits -
Thank you, Gabriela!
*Drawings takes the form of a Christmas tree - how very creative
*a lovely Drawings crested ornament





From Lucy Banta, CZT (New Jersey) and here on her blog ~
Merry almost Christmas! Thank you for the angelic tangle opportunity -- a welcome diversion from the hustle and bustle that accompanies this time of year.
Tangled Tidbits -
*dark sparkled center, weighted outer lines, and soft shading



From Val (Tucson, Arizona) ~
This was a challenge for me to learn this beautiful new tangle! Here is my tile to share. I am enjoying this art form so much and am constantly learning from all of you! Thank you for sharing -
Here is my Christmas Angel for the world.Merry Christmas, everyone!
Tangled Tidbits -
*pretty Drawings, happy greetings, multicolored aura



From Michele Wynne (California) ~
I'm completely enthralled with Drawings.

Tangled Tidbits - 
...and it shows!
*two multi layered Drawings, sparkled aura, stippled shading, sparkled perfs, and white accented border lines



From Karen, The Creative Miss L (Canberra, Australia) ~
Here’s my attempt at Drawings. When I drew this tangle it reminded me of pink Asiatic lilies, which are my favourite flower. So, I added a pink border and yellow highlights. Thanks for another challenging year of Zentangle.
Tangled Tidbits - 
*doubled lines, light curve accent lines, lovely colors


From Lily Moon (Hungary) and on her Instagram ~
here is my tile for your weekly monotangle challenge. I use for this tile black, brown and blue Pigma Micron pens, white gellyroll pen and Polychromos pencils for coloring and shading.
Tangled Tidbits - 
Thank you for listing your materials - that is inspiring.
*aura-ed sections of Drawings filled with colorful accents, shaded as though standing up


From Sharyn Penna (Massachusetts) ~
Just as we begin to wind down (or wind up!) for Christmas, we find your prompt featuring the newest official tangle, Drawings. How can I not squeeze in some tangling time for this? For my tile I added Flux ... but I have visions of so many mixes and mashings ... can't wait to slow down and put pen to task! And I'm so looking forward to the big reveal!Cheers to you and cheers all for happy holidays.
Tangled Tidbits - 
Please send pictures when you do pen those ideas.
*stunning result with flowing layers of Flux between the 'S' curves of Drawings
(nice frame!)


From Felicity Strohfeldt (South Africa) and here on her blog ~
Drawings! A lovely new tangle by Rick Roberts and Maria Thomas. Probably rather, obvious but I couldn’t resist trying a Christmas Angel. Result - a little mischievous angel, but it is after all the time of joy and being merry. Will use this pattern often in the future.
Wishing you and all who participate in IAST a peaceful and memorable Christmas. Thank you Adele for inspiration, enthusiasm and encouragement throughout 2016!
Love from a sunny South Africa

Tangled Tidbits - 
...a heavenly angel!
*curled inner accent lines and wavy aura opposite weighted lines, all softly shaded



And now...

the tile for honors this week...

was sent in by...

Ingrid from The Netherlands!

Ingrid wrote ~
In the attachment my tile # 175 for this week.What a lovely new tangle to play with. I loved it so much and it gave me a lot of satisfaction when drawing.


Tangled Tidbits -
*fabulous dimension and movement created with weighted lines, detail lines, rounded intersections, long graceful lines, and shading


Congratulations Ingrid!

I have a little something coming in the mail for you.

A huge thank you to all of the contributors to this week's angelic challenge.
I am even more inspired for the holidays now and I hope you are too. Please know that I appreciate and treasure your kindnesses and encouragements as well. 

Many thanks to Maria Thomas and Rick Roberts for Drawings.


Check back Tuesday afternoon for "It's a String Thing" #176!














1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the round-up, and wish you a happy new year! Loved your Christmas tile! - Sra

    ReplyDelete