Thursday, June 15, 2017

"It's a String Thing" #197 Tiles

"Good things come to those who wait" and today is no exception.

Thank you all for waiting to see these happy results for IAST #197.  We explored a brand new tangle (with many compliments) from a brand new CZT:  Tints by Henrike Bratz.

As you read on, notice that we've added two more names to our Tangled Map and four tiles are presented on Tickled to Tangle frames - great fun!

The first tile arrived from Vonnie Schneider (St. Paul, Minnesota) ~
Yay! My week is much slower than last week! Just to make sure I got this one in on time (I must have just missed the deadline last week) I sent this week's tile right away!
I love when I start tangling and the tile takes on a life of its own, especially when you start shading. I should have done a before and after shot...the tile looks sooo different!
Here's to less crazy hectic weeks and more time to tangle!
 Tangled Tidbits -
I am not sure why, but at times, emails do not come through.  Please resend if there ever is ever a time you don't see your tile posted.
*one large, full, wonderfully detailed Tint
*dot centered Bales



A very warm welcome to Isabella Plappart (Graz, Austria) ~
Tangled Tidbits -
*wonderful shading
*bubbling Antidots
Welcome to our tangled map, Isabella!



From Trudi (Woodview, Ontario, Canada) ~
I really loved learning the Tangle Tint putting it in my pattern book it sure didn't look as nice as Henrike's! I choose to go big this time but I would like to someday draw a nice line of them. Thank you for introducing us to it.
Tangled Tidbits -
*one large, detailed Tint - sparkled, and lined with perfs
*line and sparkle filled spaces of Bales


From Victoria (Texas) ~
This one was a lot of fun. I don't always get to these each week but I will continue to each IAST as much as possible. Thanks for these challenges.
Tangled Tidbits -
*dark orbs repeat in all three tangles
*each Tint is rimmed with perfs


From Susie (Thailand) and here on her blog ~
Tint is a wonderful tangle. I love organic tangles when they are free of constraints (grid) and give us many variation possibilities to never be boring. Well done and many thanks to Henrike Bratz. I still had a coffee stain tile left over from another challenge, but this challenge was the perfect opportunity to finally give it a purpose. There should be 7 Tints, a bunch of Antidots and 2 liberated Bales strings if everything arrives in your inbox.
My thanks, Adele, for yet another fun challenge.



Tangled Tidbits -
What wonderful descriptions of the tangles, thank you, Susie.
*gorgeous color - the tangles burst out of the deep spots of the coffee stains
*tippling provides a sense of depth and lightness at the same time


From Ilse Lukken (The Netherlands) and here on her blog ~
This tile isn't one of my favorites, but I'll send it anyway...
Tangled Tidbits -
*elongated loops repeat in all three tangles
*alternating directions for the detail lines that fill rows of Bales


From Jane Rhea, CZT (Indiana) ~
Thank you so very much for the warm welcome to IAST! I began tangling about 18 months ago and had my first lesson with a wonderful CZT, Katrina Thiebaut, who lives about an hour away from me in northeastn Indiana. Katrina encouraged me to attend CZT training, and I'm excited to say I became a CZT this past April! I'm still very much a "newbie," and the outpouring of encouragement, sharing and help from everyone in the Zentangle community has been simply amazing! Thank you for all your hard work and inspiration!
Tangled Tidbits -
Congratulations, Jane!
*Antidots accent Bales
*stippling, weighted lines, shading, aura - great details
Jane sent a second tile ~
*hints of Bales, Antidots and similar shading for all tangles



From Lucy Banta, CZT 16 (New Jersey) ~
Here's my tile for this week. Tint is such a beautiful tangle. I've thoroughly enjoyed reading about your trip. Fascinating!
Thank you for the opportunity to participate!
Tangled Tidbits -
*clusters of Antidots and touches of them in Bales
*perfs, aura, shading, and sparkled dark centers create a pretty Tint variation


From Mariam G (Port Hueneme, California) ~
Happy June 1st! I am awaiting the hatching of our fourth set of hummingbird babies for this year - fingers crossed! Our little Mom has not had a good go of it so far - three out of six have not survived, for reasons unknown. This is her third season with us, so she is getting up there in years (for a hummer). I hope this last batch does well for her.
My tile this week just kind of happened. I think it's too busy, but my hubby liked it so I'm going with it - HA!
I'm looking forward to working a bit more with Tint - I think it has great possibilities, I just have to get a handle on it.
Thank you for the lovely challenge, as always. Can't wait to hear the rest of your Fabriano adventures.
Tangled Tidbits -
What a treat it must be to entertain hummingbirds - keep us updated, please.
*plaid-like Bales
*single line of Tint bubbles over into Antidots



From Gabriela Garcia (Alberta, Canada) and here on her blog ~
Hello everyone! This challenge was great fun and I had a very peaceful time creating this tile. "Tints" is a beautiful tangle and I loved all it's variations! . In the past I only used "Bales" following the original step outs without variations and thanks to Adele's post with'Bales" variations I looked at Bales for the first time with different eyes. This gave me the idea of trying a few things of my own. I decided to draw Bales with brown micron, then added with black micron four little petals joined at the center, then I filled in the background with brown. I really liked the result! and if you notice at the top "V" section I created unintentionally a bigger wider Bales compared to the center and bottom sections. When I added the brown background it created two slightly different results, the bigger Bales shows more brown while the smaller Bales shows more the white "petals" (or cream in this case as I used a cream colored card-stock paper). I liked them both! As Zentangle says there are no mistakes... if I haven't unintentionally changed the pattern's size, I wouldn't have found this two different effects ;-)
Tangled Tidbits - 
*gorgeous black back drop for flowing Tint
*wonderful balance of all three colors and tangles



From Susan (United Kingdom) ~
I had to do this challenge as Tint is inspired by my part of the world. Tintern is about half an hour away, a lovely place. I like Antidots too. When I first did it I overlooked the instruction to stop after 3 strokes. I developed a variation where you keep going for 6 or 7 or even more and I like it like that so some of them appear!
Tangled Tidbits - 
We will all have to take a road trip to see you then :) - In my dreams, I would!
*Antidots border encircles multiple varieties of Tint
*lovely shading



From Sra (India) ~
My version of Tint is more elongated than rounded but I surprised myself by being able to work in the Antidots into this string, I didn't think I could.
I have to tell you this - I was spending some time with my nine-year-old niece last week and suddenly noticed that she had bought two sets of coloured paper, perhaps to draw. (Or maybe her mother had bought it, I really don't know). When I looked at the packets more closely, guess what the brand was? Fabriano! It was so strange, because I had been catching up with your Fabriano posts just a couple of days before, and these papers were bought about 10 days earlier in my city, when my niece was visiting me. This didn't look like Zentangle paper - it was thin and transparent, but it was still a thrill to see the name. I didn't even think it would be available in my country.
Tangled Tidbits - 
How fun!  Now you can enjoy more of the products and paper Fabriano has to offer.
*Tint follows the string line - and the larger black sections of it anchor the tangle
*softly shaded sections of Bales


From Shirley Wohlsen (Queensland, Australia) ~ 
Once again a lovely selection of tangles, there were so many lovely variations in these tangles
It was hard to decide which ones to use, I enjoyed the ones I used.
Thanks Adele.
Tangled Tidbits - 
*fun variation of Bales - beautiful edges all around the border
*multiple sizes of Tint, Flux-like Antidots


From Ragged Ray (United Kingdom) ~
The last couple of challenges had me adventuring in the realms of colour - so this week, my return to the beautiful simplicity of black and white felt like a homecoming.
Tint is a new tangle to me and it's a lovely one - something about those orbs and curves felt very soothing and natural to draw. Bales always adds a touch of soft structure, and Antidots, well, I love that tangle and here I've got little pops of it within Bales along with long melting trails of it too.
There was no plan for this tile - the pen led and I followed. Sometimes that's the best sort of adventure!
Tangled Tidbits - 
*aura and elongated Antidots create interesting shapes of darkened spaces
*wonderful shading of full (aura-ed and sparkled) Tint


From Tonia (Rhode Island) ~
I enjoyed learning #Tint & #Antidots. I used Ebony charcoal pencil for dark shading. Thanks for this week's challenge Adele!
Tangled Tidbits - 
*pretty side-by-side Antidot clusters
*heart shaped Tint


From Hilary (Chicago) ~
I hope you're having a lovely June day.
I really love your selections for this challenge. Antidot is so much fun to do, and Tint has so many variations. Speaking of variations, I was so delighted with your tips for tangling Bales, that I copied each one in my notebook.
For this challenge I decided to make Tint and Antidot my focus and used a simple variation of Bales in gray ink as my background.
This was fun to do!
Tangled Tidbits - 
I am so happy that you found my Tips helpful, thank you.
*lovely shading of Tint and Antidots is reflected in the light Bales background
*Tint lines the string and Antidots springs for three corners


From Lovelygiraffe (Japan) and on Instagram ~
Tangled Tidbits - 
*delightful dimension created in the thinning grid of Bales
*darkened spaces between the tangles, shading, and Tipple add incredible life to the patterns


From Lisette (Switzerland) ~
Tint is a beautiful Tangle. I like the Mooka-Version very much. As I didn’t know where to place Antidots I embellished Bales with this pattern.
Love from Switzerland
Tangled Tidbits -
* Yin Yang centers for Tint
*shaded aura around the entire tile



 From Renee Womack (Austin, Texas) and here on her blog ~
Thank you again for another challenge! I admit that I just put this aside with no intention of finishing it. I didn’t like it and then something made me take another look. A good reminder that sometimes you just need to keep going and not presuppose the end result (hah…isn’t that called keeping an open mind?)…. Let’s call this one “Waiting To Bloom”. Also, thanks for sharing details and great pics of your amazing trip.
Tangled Tidbits - 
*stunning stems of Tint
*colorful Antidots accents


From Karin (Germany) ~
this is my entry to challenge no 197. Thank you for posting the fabulous variations ob Bales!
Greetings from Germany


Tangled Tidbits - 
*alternating light and dark spaces of Antidots and alternating directions for the detail lines of Bales
*two pretty variations of Tint



From Lynn Gotham (Florida) ~
Thank you Adele for another fun challenge.
Tangled Tidbits -
*single grid lines of Bales along the string lines
*weighted lines, curves, soft shading - all make Antidots shine


From Susie (St. Louis, Missouri) ~
Tangled Tidbits -
*Antidots and Tint float against a deep black background
*lighter Bales lends a pretty contrast


From Robin Steinbeck (Painesville, Ohio) ~
It's been awhile since I participated in your challenge. I have been busy with my sick mom, fortunately she has recovered and she is home! 😃 This was a great tile for me to get my mojo back.
Tangled Tidbits -
So glad to know all is well and you are back to tangling...
*lined details, shading, and sparkle for Tint
*curls and dots accent Antidots


From Ingrid (The Netherlands) ~
What a lovely new tangle TINT is. So many possibilities. Loved to play with it. I love the Mooka variation.
Enclosed my IAST # 197 tile for this week.
Thank you for episode V of your Italian adventures.
Much much love and many hugs. Have a blessed week.
Tangled Tidbits -
*bubbly clusters of Antidots
*Mooka variation of Tint, complete with aura and shading



A very warm welcome to CZT Robin Tucker (Florida) ~
i finally got to finish one of your challenges. i have been following you and learning a lot! i am soooo enjoying following your tour..i feel i am right there with you..what an exciting adventure. i just wanted to tell you how grateful i am for all you do for the Zentangle community!!
Tangled Tidbits -
*fading field of Antidots
*Tint diminishes in size as it curves upward and inward
This is a special treat for me because Robin came to my art show last December (where she purchased that lovely frame her tile is displayed on) and now, we get to welcome her to our tangled map.


From Beth Gaughan (North Carolina) ~
Thank you for sharing your trip to Italy! I was fortunate to tag along on my husband's business trip to Italy a few weeks ago. What a lovely country to get to visit!

Tangled Tidbits -
I am so happy that you were able to visit Italy.  Yes, it is very lovely.
*two variations of Bales, softly shaded
*free floating Antidots


From Jody Genovese, CZT (New York) ~
Still loving your Fabriano adventures..you should have been an author.
Here is my tile for 197, thank you as always.
Tangled Tidbits -
A happily similar placement of tangles to Beth's!
*large and light Bales
*medium sized Tint full of wonderful details, holds a cluster of smaller Antidots - beautiful!


From Audrie Wiesenfelder (Tucson, Arizona) and here on her Purple Butterfly ~
Hope you and your family are doing well. I've been enjoying reading about your fabulous trip to Fabriano. It sounds wonderful. I'm very envious.
Here's my tile for the latest String Thing. It's the 11th hour again; but at least I finished it...here it is:
Tangled Tidbits -
*steep angled grid for Bales creates depth
*two variations of Tint and lots of tiny Tipple meld them with Antidots

From Marla Mendenhall (California) ~
A simple string, two familiar patterns... it should have been easy, right? Maybe I'm just never content, or maybe I need to learn how to turn off my brain. Or maybe it's all Adele's fault, and she chooses elements with myriad possibilities too tempting to explore. As always, tangle-ishish.
 Tangled Tidbits -
I'll take the credit (or the fault) if you produce the masterpieces :)
*Tint border, weighted lines, detail lines, shading, aura, and sparkled perfs
*Antidot 'vines' spill over a Bales 'vase'
*Bales/Anitdots filled double string
*shadow shading and lighter background tangles
*Perfs shine throughout - love the shading to show the large floating one (lower left)
*centers of Tint flow smoothly into Antidots variations (top right)


From Sharon Fite (California) ~
I LOVE Tint! So versatile and fun to draw! It reminds me of feather designs in quilting. It offers so many variations and design opportunities. Here are four. I think the Mooka variation may be my favorite, but I'm partial to Mooka. Thanks to Henrike for bringing this tangle forward and to Adele for choosing it!

Tangled Tidbits -
*creative variations of Tint - four from one point give the tangle a whole new look
*elegant Mooka variation



From Tina Kirchhübel (Germany) and here on her blog ~
I hope I'm not to late with my tile!? The last weeks were full of things to do but today I had some minutes while the kids were playing and tangled the tile for this week`s challenge.
Wish you a great sunday. Greetings from Germany

Tangled Tidbits -
*dot tipped Antidots accent lines, when aura-ed, create a lace-like look
*striped and sparkled Antidots sections - bold against the light lined Bales



From Felicity Strohfeldt (South Africa) and here on her blog ~
...I’ve kept up with your lovely travel journal and felt that I was right next to you as you and your husband, meander through the fascinating Fabriano Paper Manufacturers, as well as experiencing the beautiful Italian countryside with you.
I have missed 3 challenges that I will definitely complete for my album. I am also feeling out of practice, but Hendrike’s Tint is beautiful, and challenging at first, but when it took off, it flew. I will enjoy exploring it further. Antidots by Anita Roby-Lavery became part of Tint and Bales by Maria Thomas worked perfectly as a background. Feel in the loop again.
Happy Tangling All his week.
Tangled Tidbits -
*delightfully delicate details throughout
*sparkle and shading make the tangles glow and create wonderful dimension


From Sharon Penna, CZT (Massachusetts) ~
Your Fabriano adventure is absolutely fabulous ... an aptly named series! My husband and I love artichokes ... and to think they are added to paper sometimes. It makes me wonder if the makers used the leaves before enjoying their goodness or if they use the discarded leaves after a meal. I vote the latter ... that's what I would do!
Congrats and brava to Henrike ... CZT, blogger, and a truly addictive tangle!Cheers
Tangled Tidbits -
I agree about the artichokes - I would definitely enjoy them first any way :)
*a somewhat random grouping of Tint against a deep background gives the tangle such a unique look - as if it is growing before our eyes
*Bales filled with large, flower-like Antidots


From Joan Omans (Michigan) ~
I had so much fun with the tangles presented for this week's challenge. A huge thank you to Henrike for giving us Tint! It made me glad that I recently perfected my acquaintance with Flux. Antidots has always been a struggle for me, too, but I think it's finally coming together. I didn't realize until I was almost finished that my pen was a darker brown and not black as I had thought. There may be more tiles in my future with this pen!
Thank you, Adele, for another wonderful challenge. Your weekly challenges have helped me grow and develop my artistic abilities. I am so glad to have stumbled across your blog and the entire Zentangle community.
Tangled Tidbits -
...and we are happy you found us!
*Flux details repeat in all three tangles
*perfs rim Tint, contrast nicely with Antidots' detail lines


From Michele Wynne (California) ~
Thanks for another great challenge. This was really fun to draw. "Tint" is right up my alley
Many thanks for all you do. I'm enjoying your Fabriano series immensely.
P.S.
I've also attached the tile I created ( and forgot to send) for IAST 194 introducing your new pattern "Trella". I thought you might enjoy another interpretation to add to your collection. This is definitely going to join my repertoire

Tangled Tidbits -
*dark 'eyed' Tint, complete with sparkle - like centers for Antidots
*Bales morphs as needed creating long curves
And here is the tile that Michele created for IAST #194 (link).  It was just too difficult to keep it to myself :)



From Henrike Bratz, CZT (Germany) - non other than the creator of Tint! ~
Dear Adele, I'm sending this from Lisbon, where I tangled the tile yesterday evening. Didn't want to miss this one as you can imagine. It's only a duotangle with tint and bales. I also read your fabriano part five. So interesting and entertaining again!
It's now nine in the morning. My daughter is still sleeping and from the outside i can hear the sounds of a city awaking. I have already been tangling the cover of my journal for about two hours. What a peaceful first morning in an still unknown town waiting to be explored. now it's time to prepare breakfast. I'm getting hungry!
Tangled Tidbits -
Your trip and your time sound peaceful, enjoy!
*spiral centered Tint along with striped and sparkled ones, perf accents and dark surrounds
*diagonal Bales features multiple lines and cross-like centers


And now...

the tile for honors this week...

was sent in by...


Anita A Westin (Rättvik, Dalarna,Sweden) and here on her blog ~
Thanks Adele for a wonderful challenge! First you choose two of my favourite-patterns, Bales and Antidots! Then you introduced Tint, a pattern I immediately fell in love with! And if that wasn´t enough you choose a string , irresistible in it´s simplicity! So here comes my entry, which I enjoyed a lot to do!
Tangled Tidbits -
*all three tangles share similar strokes, line weight, shading, and size
*just a touch of black spaces in and around the tangles
*each line of Tint and Antidots is shaded as are the outer lines of Bales



Congratulations, Anita!

I have a little something coming in the mail for you.
Many thanks to everyone for sending in your precious tiles.  You inspire all of us and help build this wonderfully supportive IAST community.

Kudos to Henrike Bratz, CZT for her new Tint,  to Maria Thomas for  Bales , and to Anita Roby-Lavery for Antidots.

Continued thanks to all for the compliments on the posts of our "Paper Pilgrimage" to Fabriano, Italy.  Part VI is coming on Thursday ♡.

Results of "It's a String Thing" #198 are coming soon...


1 comment: