Tuesday, January 16, 2018

"It's a String Thing" #225 Tiles

This week we concentrated on just one tangle, Maria Thomas' Dewd.  The most common comment from participants was that they couldn't wait to see how everyone else tangled their tiles.

Perhaps it was the nature of the curvy string, or the organic nature of the tangle itself, but a few misgivings crept into this tangling adventure.  As with most experiences in this wonderful art form, some time away from a finished tile brings renewed admiration for how it turned out. 

Lets take a look ~

The first tile arrived from our newest contributor, CZT Vandana Krishna from Bangalore, India ~
Please find attached my submission for IAST #225
My first submission for IAST!! :-)
Tangled Tidbits -
*bight white highlights
*string line features just four wisps of Dewd
Welcome to our IAST community Vandana and welcome to our Tangled Map!





From Verena (Germany) ~
Tangled Tidbits - 
*bursts of Dewd from golden orbs
*fabulously fine lined background


From Priscilla DeConti, CZT 28 (Kingston, New York) ~
Glad to be jumping in and work with a tangle that is not one of my strong suits..teamed it with hooks and couple of stones..and this is the result.
Have a wonderful week and look forward to the next challenge...
 Tangled Tidbits ~
*thick and thin Dewd spaces
*regal purple and red orbs


From Dani Mulyaning (Indonesia) ~
Happy Friday. It's my tile for this week challenge. Dewd should be the star of this tile. But I think ing more dominate. Unfortunately, ing too small to be added the detail.

Tangled Tidbits -
*wonderful mix of tangles
*Dewd blends into the mix


From Shirley Wohlsen (Queensland, Australia) ~
Attached is my Tile for this week’s ‘It’s A String Thing #225 ‘ challenge.
Loved the Dewd Tangle.
 Tangled Tidbits -
*incredible spirals
*cascading Dewd


From Hilary (Chicago, Illinois) ~
You're so right about Dewd, it really does have a mind of its own. However this time, I was determined to follow the string, and I think I pretty much did. And what a marvelous string it is—I hope you use it again.
 Tangled Tidbits -
*tear drop tips for graceful Dewd
*red shading and fine lines


From Barbara Steyer (Germany) ~
time flies and sometimes there are other important things to do.
But this week I could follow your invitation with a nice string and the wonderful pattern.
 Tangled Tidbits -
*striped string spirals tipped with gems and shaded beautifully
*Dewd flows from the border inward


From Trudi (Woodview, Ontario, Canada) ~
Greetings Adele from snowy central Ontario. After a few days above freezing (which I was very happy to see as our water line had been frozen for 11 days---it was so nice to flush a toilet and have hot water!) we are back below freezing and it's snowing. It's nice to sit and Tangle and think my Tangle is going to a warmer place!
 Tangled Tidbits -
My heart goes out to you - stay warm! You will appreciate my photographs at the end of this post...
*golden single line of Dewd
*sparkled, striped, and shaded backdrop


From Jody Genovese, CZT (New York) ~
I’m two for two! Hope I can keep perfect attendance this year..that’s my goal.
Sending warm wishes from NY.
 Tangled Tidbits -
Lucky us!
*Dewd spins from the perf lined string
*beautiful background of a penciled larger, more rounded Dewd


From Jane (Boulder, Colorado) ~
Here's my #225...I guess I'm in my aura exploring period--:) Unfortunately, your luscious string pretty much disappeared and I would like to use that one again with totally different tangles, but Dewd just wanted to do his own thing! :) I did try a couple other ideas first with smaller dark Dewd filling the bigger string areas, but I was not happy with those at all. When I started with the little loop in your string in the lower left and grew my larger scale Dewd from there and used the string as my boundaries, things seemed to fall into place. I aura-ed and aura-ed until I reached the edges and then used the loop in the top area the same way. Something misfired in the aura-ing up there (couldn't bring that first line all the way down because I had started it all the way on the end below) so it ended up looked more Sand Swirl than Dewd, but I still love how it all plays well together. Shading added some dimension, and I'm enjoying simple as I still decompress from that crazy piano--:)
 Tangled Tidbits -
...that 'crazy'/incredible piano!
*how fun that Sandswirl appeared
*shading along the center lines of Dewd


From Lisette (Switzerland) ~
I’ve tried to follow the string with a Tranzending rope and take Dewd as background. But I must admit I’m not happy with the result. I tried again with some pink berries and Fleavy. But this version doesn’t make me happier either. First I didn’t want to post them but decided against it. So here they are. I wonder how you all did with this string and pattern.
Tangled Tidbits - 
* wonderful burst of Dewd in Hollibaugh fashion
*tranzending string line

Tangled Tidbits -
*shading and sparkle give the black and pink Dewd great dimension
*border and background lines accent the tangle


From VenaC (Whitby, Ontario, Canada) ~
...This week I used a pre-printed paper called sandstone. It is the first time I have tried that. I was going to add more Dewd but in the end I kind of liked the minimalist look.
 Tangled Tidbits -
*single line of Dewd follows the string line
*the paper, the shading, and the addition of dew drops provide wonderful depth


From Ingrid (The Netherlands) ~
Wow, this was a tough one and a lot of Dewd in here. Anyway I had fun practicing and I like Dewd. Very curious to see what others did.
 Tangled Tidbits -
*glorious rows of Dewd engulf the string
*white space highlights the string as well as the tangle


From Karin (Germany) ~
this is my entry to challenge no 225.
Greetings from Germany

Tangled Tidbits - 
*delightful swirls of Dewd
*white space created with the inner loops of the string 


From Lin H., CZT (Florida) ~
Thanks for your challenge, Adele. In regards to your string, my Dewd had a mind of its own.
 Tangled Tidbits -
*great borders created by added aura to just one side of Dewd
*accent lines run perpendicular to the tangle lines


From Ulrike (Germany) ~
Hallo Adele, this was a tricky string, and so I've needed some tries for this work. It has became simple, but i didn't do better.
I am nosey, what other participants tangled. I'm sure, I can learn a lot from them again.
Many Greetings from Germany
 Tangled Tidbits -
*perf lined string
*Dewd flows with the sting curve - notice the variation here as the initial lines of Dewd are further apart - very nice.


From Mariam G. (Port Hueneme, California) ~
I enjoyed working with 'Dewd', but had a hard time imagining this string (just could not find my happy place this time around). Oh well, it goes that way sometimes!
 Tangled Tidbits -
*glorious flow to the tangle
*tangle is shaded between Dewd sections for depth


From Karen Herstowski (Atlanta, Georgia) ~
Maria did it again - gave me another addictive tangle. This is great fun!!
Thanks to Maria and you, Adele.

Tangled Tidbits -
*elegant Dewd lines topped with pops of red
*weighted lines, shading, and aura highlight the string



From Lynn G (Florida) ~
Very challenging Adele 😖
 Tangled Tidbits -
That face made me smile - and so does your beautiful tile.
*weighted lines for each Dewd orb
*background includes detail lines, shading, and penciled aura



From Kate (United Kingdom) ~
My contribution to this week's challenge. Dewd certainly did have a mind of its own but although the string totally disappeared on my first attempt it's reappeared on my second!
With best wishes and a belated Happy New Year
Tangled Tidbits -
*Dewd springs from each of the four corners
*fine lines and shading add depth
*deep shading highlights Dewd orbs



From Sue Leslie, CZT (Vadito, New Mexico) ~
Hi, Here is some swirly fun with Dewd. This was fun and a couple of bubbles/jems and a bit of color snuck in on me. Just proving to me even with cataracts in both eyes, I can still have some fuzzy zentangle fun. But getting that problem fixed this month, so will miss getting to do a couple of weeks of IAST this month. But I’ll be back in February better than ever with new eyes. Have a fun rest of the month!
Tangled Tidbits -
"Swirly fun" - that is a great way to put it, Sue.
Many prayers for a speedy recovery and wonderful results.
*perky purple perfs and gems
*Dewd springs from one central point of the string and branches outward


From Debbie Raaen (Trondheim, Norway) ~
Taking part for the first time in 2018 so Happy new year to you and everyone else taking part. Better late than never.
Couldn't resist having a go at this challenge when it involved Dewd.
All the best for 2018
 Tangled Tidbits -
*delightful Dewd details - curved lines, sparkle, shading
*two large Dewd accent the string loops


From Sue Agnew (Tucson, Arizona) ~
I will be really interested to see everyone's tiles this week. I totally agree with Maria that Dewd is really relaxing to draw (especially if Ricky isn't talking LOL), but it doesn't seem to lend itself too easily to individual interpretation. In my case ... even though the "essence" of Dewd seems to be its massed-ness and the effect of filling the negative spaces with parallel lines which creates ambiguity about how the tangle was drawn ... I decided the string was far too pretty to do anything but outline it. So my tile is more "aura-ed Fescu" than truly Dewd. But as I said, relaxing and fun to draw.
Thank you for coordinating this every week! I'm especially impressed by the positivity and variety of comments you make on the tiles!
 Tangled Tidbits -
Sue, I always appreciate your assessment of a tangle!
*elongated dark orbs of Dewd
*shadow shading


From Donna Matoi (Long Beach, California) ~
I have to say I totally missed the mark last week when I was reading your blog post for IAST#224! I didn't realize it had '18 for the year! So, I was super stumped for this week and was thinking and looking at the string and my Dewd got a bit out of control, but, oh well!
I look forward to the next string! It's one stroke at a time! I keep saying that!
I did get your ebook for the Tiny Houses, but, didn't have time over the holidays to make any and thought I would try something for Valentine's Day and was super excited to hear you and Dorian were working on something!
Tangled Tidbits -
Thank you, glad the timing is good for you, too!
*dark string line compliments the larger Dewd
*wider spaced Dewd and thinly spaced detail lines


From Sharon Fite (California) ~
Hi Adele, another great challenge! I am familiar with Dewd, but hadn't used it too much. I think of it as rather folksy and a good space filler. I wanted to keep the string mostly in tact, but we sort of wandered away. I've enjoyed Zingo since the instructional video, and it seemed to compliment Dewd. What to put in the lower right corner? Rumpus! Another tangle I'm enjoying, rather a fancy tangle. Not too sure the folksy and the fancy work together. But, hey, this is Zentangle, so, of course, they all go together! I look forward to seeing all the contributions.
 Tangled Tidbits -
*grand mix of tangles
*curved cluster of Dewd, shaded between sections for depth


From Susan Theron (Velddrif, South Africa) ~
I've added Sooflowers by Livia Chua.
 Tangled Tidbits -
Two tiles in a row with flowery additions - and a world apart at that!
*Dewd sprouts and flows upward
*sparkled orbs repeat in both tangles


From Marjan Heemskerk (The Netherlands) ~
Thank you for the inspiration you give me every week. I had a lot of fun with Dewd.
 Tangled Tidbits -
*dark, sparkled orbs repeat throughout the tile and provide a great sense of movement
*Dewd flows and curves with the string line


From Susie (St. Louis) ~
I like the new tangle, but not the string. At first I shaded it heavily and then erased as much as I could. The shading did not go well to say the least. I’m sending this in because I promised myself to send one each week. I’m regretting that decision!
 Tangled Tidbits -
You are to be commended for pushing passed that reluctance.  As I said in my introduction, I do hope some time and space prove to give you renewed appreciation for you pretty tile.
*Dewd dangles from the top and up from the bottom of the tile
*large, sparkled orbs compliment the lighter lines and shading of Dewd


From Margarete Gilge (Germany) ~
here comes my tile for your IAST 225...
Best wishes from Germany
 Tangled Tidbits -
*bursts of light and dark Dewd along each string spiral
*Dewd spins off from very pretty Toodles variations


From Dolly Bolen, CZT (Morinville, Alberta, Canada) ~
“Single Dewds” I loved the process of creating this tile, I started with a white tile I tea stained probably over a year ago but never had the urge to use it until this challenge. I deepened the tea stain first by going over it with a couple different Brown Derwent Graphitint Colour Soluble Graphite Pencils. The tea was Mojito by Tetley. Then I penciled in the IAST#225 string.
I decided to draw single Dewd tangles because I always like to find my own twist to tangles, especially new ones.
This tile was looking a little drab. I added so much bling it was fun to watch the tile come to life. Love bling on my tiles! I also used Sakura Stardust Gelly Roll Pens, Generals Charcoal White Pencil, Dark Brown Marvy Le Pen (which ran a bit and I love the effect) and Brown Micron 05.
I don’t usually use earthy tones in my tiles but I really like how this evolved, I favour brighter colours usually in my tangling. I like to add dots to my tiles, in Beadlines fashion or just random dots in places to add interest.
Simple things like dots and sparkle can add so much when a tile is looking a bit bland. I also added Betweed on the tea stained areas. The background I tried to make look like granite with a bit of sparkle.
Thank you Adele, I am loving your challenges and I hope to continue more this year!
Keep up the great challenges, I enjoy seeing so many different takes on the same string, it is inspiring to see so much originality and creativity. The best part is viewing so many tiles from all over the world and reading their and your wonderful comments!

Tangled Tidbits - 
Thank you, Dolly, and thank you for joining in the fun!
*color, bling, and lovely variations
*Dewd aura-ed and accented with orbs and dots


Here are my tiles ~

My post is delayed until today because I took a quick weekend trip to Ohio to visit the newlyweds, Catherine and Oswald.  Not only did we have a marvelous, albeit too brief, time together, the plane rides afforded me time to tangle.  There is something about drawing on a bumpy plane ride that I thoroughly enjoy - it is freeing to give into the wobbly lines and have something
to blame them on ;)
Here is my first tile before shading:
And after shading:
On the way home, I opted for a simpler approach:



This (left) is what it looked like on the way to the airport yesterday in central Ohio -
mid afternoon, single digit temperatures, and near whiteout conditions.
A short two hour plane ride later
and this (right) is what it looked like here in central Florida - sunshine, blue skies, and a 60 degree difference in  temperature.
                                                            Quite a contrast isn't it?!



And now...

The tile for honors this week...

was sent in by...

From Sharyn Penna, CZT (Massachusetts) !
Sharyn writes ~
...I started by following the string in Hollibaugh fashion and then Dewd took on a life of its own ... this orientation reminds me of an owl, but when I turn the tile 180 degrees it reminds me a sculpture of Bacchus (Dionysus), I’ve only seen in photos. I can’t wait to see the tile show!!!
Cheers and thanks to you and Maria Thomas for a prompt of such captivating tangle.

Tangled Tidbits - 
*Dewd flows gracefully along the string lines
*Dewd travels in Hollibaugh fashion, over and under with the 'greatest of ease'
*sparkled, elongated dark tips and subtle shading
*wonderful sense of movement created by the flow of the tangle

In a later email, Sharyn sent this note and photo:
Yesterday I went to the Peabody Essex Museum (in Salem, MA) with my older daughter to see the exhibit on Georgia O’Keefe's lifestyle ... BONUS: we had time to view a visiting Japanese art exhibit too. When I saw the carving below I thought I needed to update the orientation of my tile ... is it Bacchus or Shoki the Demon Queller ... vanquisher of ghosts and 80,000 evil demons (according to Wikipedia)!!


I see the resemblance, don't you?!

Congratulations, Sharyn!


Many thanks to Maria Thomas for her new tangle, Dewd.

A debt of gratitude to each and every participant for sending in your tiles for us to learn from and admire.

Be sure to check the post immediately following for 
"It's a String Thing" #226!








1 comment:

  1. Thanks so much Adele!! Glad to be part of the Tickled to Tangle community!! :-)

    ReplyDelete